CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, November 8, 2009

The meaning of Veteran's Day...


Last night was Ashton's turn to spend with us. This morning I awoke to a little boy in cute, sports themed winter pajamas crawling in bed with us and patting my arm as he clung to me. (Those are the moments that make everything else in the world seem so unimportant.) After snuggling for a moment, I asked him if he was ready for banana pancakes- his favorite! Those little eyes popped open and I was quickly led to the kitchen to prepare one plate-size monster cake. I only had to call him to the table once and I sat with him while he ate. He announced that Wednesday was a holiday and I asked him if he knew what holiday we were observing. Nope. He just knew there was no school which required an explanation of why we honor all the men and women who have served and are serving in our military and how brave they are and how some gave their lives so we could have the freedoms we have today. I asked him how that made him feel and with a mouth half-ful of pancake he replied, "Well... there's no school so it's probably a great day to play video games."
I think I got through to him.

0 comments: